NOOB Question on Which IPTV Gear to Use

judygrear94

Hey guys, I've done a lot of reading on this board and have learned a lot about specs for Android boxes. However, I wonder if I really need one. For the last couple of days, I have been testing a couple of providers using my Firestick 4K. I also tried streaming using VLC on my laptop. Even my LG Smart TV has an app that I could use for IPTV. I have been disappointe appvalley d with the image quality using the Firestick. Even HD casts seem dull and are sometimes buffering. Here is my question, would I get significantly better image quality by using an Android Box? If yes, I have been considering Z7+, Buzz, Dreamcast or Nvidia TV Shield. I suspect the latter may be overkill as I do not game but I do want to use IPTV and already use KODI and Showbox. Thanks for any help. btw I am streaming to an LG 4K 65" TV and have 100MBS internet service.

Last edited:
Well, your post opens up a whole lot of questions, that are to me mostly subjective. For starters, I can only say that I have for years been subjected to criticism by Shield owners who insist it's the best of the best. Well, maybe it is, and maybe it isn't'. I'm not a gamer. So at least that aspect doesn't matter. Personally, at roughly six times the price for a Shield, I don't get it. I use 4K sticks in numerous locations and as far as I'm concerned the functionality is flawless. Another issue is of course the perceived performance of a particular app vs. another. So, while one app might not be giving you the performance you would like on a 4K stick, perhaps it's time to try another app. TBH, as long as you already own a stick, I would try a variety of apps before investing in new hardware.

I would look into the new Chromecast with Google TV (CCwGTV). I find it much easier to work with because it's not as 'locked' as the Firestick and it's 1/3rd the price of the Shield. I have a Shield a Firestick and a CCwGTV and if I needed a 4th one or if I was buying a gift for my kids, it would be the CCwGTV.

Back
Top Bottom