Recording To Attached Storage

Gr8North

Hello All. I love TiviMate but have some recording issues.

- I have two Fire Sticks 4Ks. The problems exist on both.
- I can successfully record to a Windows 10 computer share without issues. But I'd prefer to record to a USB network device, leaving the PC turned off.
- I've tried connecting a FAT32 formatted memory stick and also a USB drive to my Hitron router. I can successfully see the share from networked computers, and also in X-plore on the Fire Stick which shows the IP and that (SMB1) is being used.
- I tried this on a cheap Android box also, adding a Samba utility to it share drives on the network. Again, the shares can be seen by X-Plore on the Fire Stick, but fail to be seen by TiviMate.
- All I get when selecting a folder to save the recording to is "no folders', and the 'Select' button is greyed out.
- In TiviMate I've tried different numerous setups, with and without the SMB:// prefix, with and without share names, and folder names.
- I'm not sure if this is a SMB1 vs SMB2 issue and don't know what TiviMate uses.

I've researched for days, tried numerous options with no success. I'm grateful in advance for any suggestions on how to get this to work.

can you write to the drive from any networked devices?

can you write to the drive from any networked devices?
Hi Ed. Yes. No issues writing to the drives from a Windows 10 PC. I have also successfully created folders from within the Fire Stick X-Plore app. So it appears it's not a permissions issue.

Last edited:
Hi Ed. Yes. No issues writing to the drives from a Windows 10 PC. I have also successfully created folders from within the Fire Stick X-Plore app. So it appears it's not a permissions issue.
I thought tivimate didnt recognise smb1, for what that is worth, I 'm in the same situation w ith bell3000 modem. I havnt retried in quite some time but cuz you posted Im gonna try again so thanx alot lol.

I thought tivimate didnt recognise smb1, for what that is worth, I 'm in the same situation w ith bell3000 modem. I havnt retried in quite some time but cuz you posted Im gonna try again so thanx alot lol.
Thanks for your reply Ed. Let me know what you find out if you retry. I actually had to enable SMB1 on the Computer for TiViMate to record to the windows 10 share. (Read that in a forum somewhere).

like you i have had no problems recording to w10 shared folder on hdd or usb. Usb is not seen by tivimate when its installed on modem yet can be seen by xplorer and also computer as well as of course modem dashboard. I have never been able to have a recordings folder visible in an ethernet connected device. I think in my case its got something to do with wired vs wifi networks.
btw the usb shows on mine as smb1 when attached to modem.

like you i have had no problems recording to w10 shared folder on hdd or usb. Usb is not seen by tivimate when its installed on modem yet can be seen by xplorer and also computer as well as of course modem dashboard. I have never been able to have a recordings folder visible in an ethernet connected device. I think in my case its got something to do with wired vs wifi networks.
btw the usb shows on mine as smb1 when attached to modem.
It looks like you replicated the issue. It could be wifi vs LAN as you suggested. Looks like I'll have to leave my Win 10 PC turned on.

Do you know how to contact the TiViMate author? They might be interested in this issue.

Thanks once again for your activities and replies.

It looks like you replicated the issue. It could be wifi vs LAN as you suggested. Looks like I'll have to leave my Win 10 PC turned on.

Do you know how to contact the TiViMate author? They might be interested in this issue.

Thanks once again for your activities and replies.
issues with recording are numerous he is well aware of them but untill its more of a priority it is what it is and its pretty darn good anyway lol, time shift and vod is such that i rarely record anyway. but you can keep pretty close tabbs joining their reddit group.
if recording gets to be more important to me i'll get one pf those otg cords for a usb and power.

I just plugged a usb flash drive into my fire tv 4k to record with tivimate. It is working, but I noticed while watching any other channel when a recording is actively recording, the stream will studder every minute or so. Not like buffering, but a quick freeze and then jumps ahead. Hopefully this is a fixable glitch and I'm not the only one to notice. Thanks for the help.

Update: I have done this on 2 additional fire tv 4ks with the same result. The problem seems to only occur while watching any other channel during an active recording. The studder/freezing then shows up in the recording. I would love to hear there is a fix or workaround.

w
I just plugged a usb flash drive into my fire tv 4k to record with tivimate. It is working, but I noticed while watching any other channel when a recording is actively recording, the stream will studder every minute or so. Not like buffering, but a quick freeze and then jumps ahead. Hopefully this is a fixable glitch and I'm not the only one to notice. Thanks for the help.

Update: I have done this on 2 additional fire tv 4ks with the same result. The problem seems to only occur while watching any other channel during an active recording. The studder/freezing then shows up in the recording. I would love to hear there is a fix or workaround.
watching accounts for one connection and recording counts for another connection. If you watch and record another channell from the same provider, if your not paying for two connections this is the problem you will have so you want to make sure of that

Last edited:
I have purchased a connection for each of the 3 fire tv 4ks. The problem is happening on each device. Are you saying that watching and recording at the same time on the same connection/device is the problem? That doesn't make sense. Please provide more detail in your explanation. Thanks.

I have purchased a connection for each of the 3 fire tv 4ks. The problem is happening on each device. Are you saying that watching and recording at the same time on the same connection/device is the problem? That doesn't make sense. Please provide more detail in your explanation. Thanks.
watching is one connection
Recording is. one connection.
Watching and recording at same time rewuires two conmections.
If you have a three connection subscription this is not your problem.

Thanks for your quick replies by the way. I just spoke with my IPTV provider about what you mentioned. Watching and recording on the same device only requires one connection. If you are on a single device and a single tivimate app, that counts as one connection. So there must be another reason for the stream problems while recording with tivimate to an attached usb flash drive. As soon as I stop the recording, the stream problem goes away. The stream issue also shows up in the recording, so that makes recording a waste of time in this case. This can't be happening to everyone because no one would use the usb flash drive connection tutorial that troypoint provides.

i wonder if your provider means its one connection when you watch and record the SAME channel?

They do not mean that. 1 connection means on 1 device. You just can't use the 1 connection/login on more than 1 device simultaneously. We will keep searching for a solution.

They do not mean that. 1 connection means on 1 device. You just can't use the 1 connection/login on more than 1 device simultaneously. We will keep searching for a solution.
Not to argue but you are saying the same thing i am you seem to be paying for one connection and that can be used on as many devices as you want but not at the same time because its.....one connection!

watching is one connection
Recording is. one connection.
Watching and recording at same time rewuires two conmections.
If you have a three connection subscription this is not your problem.
@Ed209 that's right. If you recording then you are using 1 connecting and watching you will interrupt the recording connection.

Seems that @ronm69 has three connections but that's one account for each firestick as one connection each.

So this mean during a tivimate session, you really have one connection. Hence the recording issues.

@ronm69
Yout provider has giving you three accounts with one connection each. This is not an issue. But you need now to make sure during recording that you recorded only and not use recording and watching the same time for that account or firestick.

There is few companies that offer one subscription with 2 connection such as gamers and MOBUS and pro IPTV.

In any case. I don't think its a big deal. Just make sure you don't use tivimate for anything else while recording 😜👍

I you attach storage to a Google Chromecast with Google TV as removable storage it's READ ONLY. If you use it to extend the storage it can't be used for recordings. I suspect the Fire Stick may have the same issue.
Hello All. I love TiviMate but have some recording issues.

- I have two Fire Sticks 4Ks. The problems exist on both.
- I can successfully record to a Windows 10 computer share without issues. But I'd prefer to record to a USB network device, leaving the PC turned off.
- I've tried connecting a FAT32 formatted memory stick and also a USB drive to my Hitron router. I can successfully see the share from networked computers, and also in X-plore on the Fire Stick which shows the IP and that (SMB1) is being used.
- I tried this on a cheap Android box also, adding a Samba utility to it share drives on the network. Again, the shares can be seen by X-Plore on the Fire Stick, but fail to be seen by TiviMate.
- All I get when selecting a folder to save the recording to is "no folders', and the 'Select' button is greyed out.
- In TiviMate I've tried different numerous setups, with and without the SMB:// prefix, with and without share names, and folder names.
- I'm not sure if this is a SMB1 vs SMB2 issue and don't know what TiviMate uses.

I've researched for days, tried numerous options with no success. I'm grateful in advance for any suggestions on how to get this to work.

Back
Top Bottom